Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) is a requirement for foreign nationals traveling to Canada. This is only necessary for foreign nationals traveling to Canada by air. If they are travelling by land, it is not required. For Canadian citizens, people with Visa to Canada or permanent residence in Canada, the eTA is not necessary. Ensure your visit to Canada from the UK is a smooth, enjoyable experience please read on Canada ETA Visa on the new Electronic Travel Authorisation requirements for air travelers.


If the applicant is from a country that is exempted from visa requirements and is granted a permit to work or study, an eTA is issued automatically when the applicant accepts the permit application. US citizens don’t need either an eTA, or a Visa to travel to Canada. US citizens can travel to Canada without a valid US passport. Green card holders and permanent US citizens who are green card holders must have an eTA for Canada. You will also need your Green Card.

Dual citizens are those who have Canadian citizenship as well as at least one additional citizenship. They do not require an eTA to enter Canada. However, anyone who is travelling by air must have their Canadian passport. A permanent resident of Canada does not need an eTA Canada. But, they must have a valid PR (Permanent Resident Card) or Permanent Resident Travel document to travel to Canada.


eTA can be applied for with a few simple steps. You can easily apply online through the website of Canada’s Government. The application costs $7CAD. It takes just a few moments to apply and the eTA can be valid for up five years. The electronic document, eTA, is linked electronically to the individual’s passport number. The Canadian Government will not provide any paper documents for the eTA.

An email address, a valid passport, and a credit or debit card are required to apply for an eTA. The eTA can be used for up to five years, or until the expiration of the individual’s passport. A fully valid eTA allows an individual to travel to Canada for as many short trips as they wish, approximately six months at a stretch, provided that the eTA is current. The applicant’s information is sent electronically to Canada Department of Immigration. They then send the Canada eTA by email.


You must have a valid passport or travel document for at least 6 months starting on the date you arrive in Canada. An eTA must be obtained for each new passport. Once an individual’s eTA approval has been granted, they must confirm that the passport number on the eTA matches the one in their passport. If they don’t match, the person will need a new eTA.